Friday morning: “It’s 6:04, people!” Zari yelled. “Get up!” The bus would be there at 6:45 to pick us up. We all dragged ourselves wearily out of bed and onto the bus, upon which we fell right to sleep again. It was a five-hour trip and we were all thrilled to be embarking upon it. Not so much for the adventure, but for the chance to sleep. What did you expect from a group of college kids?
Our destination was a UN facility in the mountains. I knew it was going to be beautiful as I picked up clues from the gorgeous countryside. I couldn’t help but admire the beauty. I had never seen anything like it. I had never seen tropical beauty. I was gladly surprised to find that there is beauty everywhere and that the uniqueness of the beauty is sometimes what makes it all the more beautiful.
We arrived, finding ourselves at the top of the world. The view went on for miles. It was amazing. The facility was clean and shiny and new. It was a good break from the hostile. The air was cooler up in the mountains and we all appreciated it greatly.
We went on a nature walk and heard a lot about what the facility was there for. We found that it was the base of an Ecological Preservation Area. It is what the world knows as a “hot spot.” This means that there is major diversity in the flora and fauna here. Their job is to preserve the rainforest, meanwhile finding jobs for those people whose only hope was cutting the rainforest down. They have started many co-ops in order to create new jobs, while creating new wealth, all the while, protecting the ecosystem here. One of the main rivers here is called River Juliana, which runs through Juliana Valley. I thought it was rather nice of them to name them after me, having known me for only a little while.
On a more serious note, I was glad to see that my jaded perspective of “saving the rainforest” was cleared up a bit and that I was able to gain respect for what they are trying to do. They want to save this area because it is good for natural resources. They aren’t trying to cripple humanity in favor of fauna. In fact, all of the is done for the sole purpose of making peoples’ lives better. It was for this reason that my respect for this place was bolstered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment