Sunday, October 18, 2009

Wednesday, The School

Sometimes it seems that some people think that they're the only ones in the world. They have the appearance of people who believe that they deserve it all and that if they don't have it, they are somehow being done an injustice. One could assume that nothing satisfies them because they believe nothing is good enough for them. This always saddens me. However, today, our group of Kennesaw students got to see the beauty of the other side of the spectrum--something that existed at one time called gratitude and selflessness.
When Hiraldo told us that we were going to the "ghetto," I had no idea what to expect--perhaps poverty, perhaps trash--the bad part of town. What we saw was possibly similar to what I had expected, however, what we "felt" was much different than any of us anticipated
What did we see, you might ask? We visited a school. No, it wasn’t an ordinary school. It was a school at university level for students who can’t afford the real university. At least five people have given up their time and dedication to the school. The school is connected to a sewing co-op that makes clothes for the community.
We were able to see a group of people who cared enough for the communities that are less fortunate than they are that they would go into the community from the outside in order to improve it. We saw a part of the community where the people are trying to preserve the environment—trees, plants, rivers, etc—where they are. We got to eat lunch at a school that in the US would be considered “poor.” However, the kids there appreciated it and enjoyed it. I was very excited as I saw the appreciation of the community towards what we might consider very little things (which were definitely not little to them) and I was ashamed as I held that up against my own ingratitude towards what to them would be considered luxuries. For instance, I have the opportunity to get a good education that goes beyond grade school. In fact, I am enrolled in a university and apart of a study abroad program. So many of the kids in the community we visited would give their all to get what I have. I should be far more grateful for what I have than I am now. I’m thankful that the people of Salvador have reminded me of that.
Not only did I learn but I also had a lot of fun as I rapped for some of the school children and the rest of us danced and sang. It only got better when we went up to the roof to draw some graffiti. Sierra impressed us with her amazing painting skills, which resulted in an amazing dragon. The rest of us doodled and just had a good time. I got to climb the later and paint “Eu amo Brasil!” (“I love Brazil”) which received some cheers and I got to get my picture taken.
All in all, fun and learning joined hand in hand as we continued our journey in Brazil!

No comments:

Post a Comment